Summer is very bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I LOVE the heat. On the other hand, not too much heat – I know, I’m hard to please. Right now, I am in a special place where I don’t want to complain really since it is GORGEOUS, but I am usually uncomfortable. This year is particularly an issue because we are having upgrades to the building and can’t put the air conditioner up in our living area!
To that end, the absolute LAST thing I want to do it either a) stand over the stove cooking for an extended period, or b) turn on the oven. Definitely can’t turn on the oven. Whoever invented the grill is like, my idol!
Luckily, I have an Actifry that I got two Christmases ago, so that has been helping a LOT. You can cook SO many things in there if you take out the spinny part and don’t make the food tumble around itself. I like to make fish in there with some spices and it comes out nice and crispy – just like in a frying pan. So that is a very handy device. If you don’t have one, I definitely recommend it!
Of course, we have the usual suspects for no-heat meals: sandwiches, smoothies, salads. These are great options, but they can get a little old.
On that note, I would like to bring your attention to some meals that won’t make you break out into (more of) a sweat making them! Enjoy.
1. Blackened Fish Tacos – These things are amazing. I am so new to the fish taco that I was a little skeptical about it before I tried it. Use a lower carb or a whole wheat wrap to cut down on simple carbohydrates if you’re not gluten free and you’re all set!
2. Kebabs – These ones are beef, but as you know, you can definitely use chicken or even turkey or tofu instead! Courtesy of Buzzfeed – complete with video!
3. Chicken Fajita Salad – I know I said salads get boring, but not this one! Who doesn’t love a good fajita now and then?? The best part about this is that you can easily modify this one to be grilles by placing all of the veggies in a foil packet. Just grill the chicken (or whichever protein source you would like) and you’re good to go!
4. Grilled Sweet Potatoes – If you’re not a fan of cilantro, the brilliant thing about this type of recipe is that you can change the flavours to whichever ones you enjoy! Some quick seasonings, and you will have an amazing side that will definitely take your mind of the usual potato dish!
5. Cucumber, Tomato, and Avocado Salad – THIS has to be my favourite dish. I absolutely LOVE how fresh it tastes! Even without cilantro or any other herbs, this dish sings. I have been making this for months and it’s not gotten tired yet!! Bring it along to any picnic or potluck – it’s an instant hit!
So? What am I missing?? Are there any dishes that you eat to beat the heat? I’m always looking to try more and more foods!!!